Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Milestones and Exhaustion

We've had a very busy week of firsts.  Tayton has shone interest in potty training for a while now.  She frequently asks to go potty and always wants to flush the toilet.  So we've been continuing to ask her on a regular basis if she want to potty. . . Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. . . Hit and miss.  So I bribed her with Princess Panties!  Tayton's little voice saying "princess panties" is adorable.  We tried one day with the panties and she freaked out when she had two accidents, which I believe was a good start of her knowing she didn't want to experience that again, but sad to say, life suddenly go very chaotic, so we've stopped trying.  We'll be back at it hard and heavy on the weekend when we can focus on it a little more.  She was sure proud as punch to show Grandma and Papa when they came to visit on Saturday.  Can't wait until we get to eliminate diapers at our house!

Speaking of which, no one ranks higher than Papa in my family.  I say someone is coming to visit and both Tayton and Noah ask over and over again if Papa is coming.  They don't care who else they see as long as they get to see Papa!  Makes me smile, but annoys me when Papa isn't coming and I have to answer 52 questions about why he isn't coming.

Another first has happened with Noah.  Since watching the 5 year old neighbor ride his bike without training wheels, Noah has been asking to ride his bike without his training wheels, so on Saturday, we had a chance to give it a whirl.  Dad took the training wheels off and then attempted to help Noah ride, but he was hovering too much, so Noah struggled.  When I took over and just help one hand under Noah's seat, he did fabulous.  Noah took off and I was able to let go on the very first attempt.  He then did it again, but then while standing there talking to me about it, he tipped over with the bike on him.  Then he was really upset and asked for the training wheels back.  I am amazed at the gammit of emotions a 4 year old can go through so quickly.  Happy, proud, hurt, frustrated, mad. . . .WOW!!  I've got a few videos of the event posted on You Tube.  I wanted to capture the first moments and got so excited after Noah had given up that he then got right back up and tried again.  I am so embarrassed by this video, but think the embarrassment of my cackling in the background outweigh the opportunity to capture this special moment for Noah.  Check that one out here: http://youtu.be/9kdOQaVe31Q and another one can be viewed here.  This one doesn't have my awful cackle in the background. http://youtu.be/gtNIn2vJyoY. Noah still hasn't figured out how to get going on his own, but he's doing so good and I am so proud of him!

I EARN to sing. . . sing well that is.  I want to be able to sing in musicals more than anything else in the entire world. . . that's why I'm so jealous that the other half of the family got the talent and I didn't.  The kids and I have watched these videos of Teri's kids over and over again. . .  and the sting of jealousy hits me every single time when I see little Lainey sing her songs.  That woman's got some talent, she's just barely learning to harness it.  This one is my favorite:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7zizWJlb3o because there is a point where you can tell she gets a just slightly over her shyness and starts to belt it out just a little bit more.  Sing in Laine!  Notice Papa in the background. . . he's digging out his money because we had to bribe her to sing, but sing she did!  Here's another one where I caught her unaware, practicing for a local talent show:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XgeB-oj9jc  Then there are the two youngest budding stars.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ib5k7wKf8  You can see Teri had to help them out a little.  :)

Grandma and Papa came to town again this week since my dad needed to have a tumor removed from his kidney.  Monday was the day and boy was it long. . . I left my house at 4:45 a.m. to pick them up and take them to Salt Lake Regional Medical Center downtown.  Check in time was 6:30 a.m.  Around 8:15 a.m., the anesthesiologist stops by to meet us before surgery and freaks out that dad hasn't had a cardio workup in the last 4-5 years despite 2 previous heart attacks, so she won't touch him.  The hospital staff then rearranges everything to get us in with a cardiologist for a stress test in hopes that all looks well and we'll still be able to operate on Monday.  I know Papa would hate to have to do a colon cleanse another day.  Around 1 p.m, we get the word that the stress test is clear and they're able to work him into surgery.  So at 3:15 p.m., they take him back for surgery.  At 5 p.m, we see the Dr. and Nurse walking around the halls, so we stop them to ask how things are going, assuming they've finished the surgery. . . but no, that would be too easy.  They just then had him prepped and were just then getting ready to start the surgery.  He didn't get done until 8 p.m.  Grandma, Papa and I sat in an 8'x8' room looking at each other for hours upon hours.  It's really hard to do nothing!!  Back to the hospital today at 6:10 a.m. until 2 p.m.  I'm exhausted.  I can't imagine how my mother feels.  Thankfully, surgery went well.  Take care of the one's you love!!!

This week, I got offered another job at hill working some new, innovative, strategic contracts in the Hill Enterprise Commodity Council.  I'm so excited.  I loved my current job, but was ready for a little change of scenery, so this will be so great!  I wanted to take donuts to work as a little treat as I broke the news to my employees, so I took the kids to Krispy Kreme's to get a few dozen.  What a fun experience!!  A very first for me and the kids!  We've never bee to Kripsy Kreme's.  I had no idea you could see the whole process in action.  Very fun and the kids loved watching every moment of it.  They got to pick out their own donuts to eat later too, but surprised me when they didn't really care for the ones with sprinkles they had picked out.
 

Taken by Noah
New bath letters - only pic I had without cute bare bums!

















Jon is still working a job in the Ogden Yard.  It's been quite an experience these past two weeks.  Normally, Jon has been getting home around midnight, so he's been really tough and he goes to bed and gets up with the kids bright and early and plays dad all day until 3:30 when he leaves for work.  However, last Wednesday, my alarm rang at 4:30 a.m. and I rolled over just to find that Jon hadn't made it home yet.  Wow, that makes for an interesting morning.  Thank goodness I have some great folks who put up with my texts and that awful time of the morning and willingly agree to watch my kids.  That's been happening regularly since then, so now we've arranged for someone to come watch the kids from the time I leave for work at 5:30 a.m. until Jon wakes up after his long nights at work.  Then he leaves for work at 3:30 but I don't make it home until 4 p.m, so another girl in the neighborhood comes over for those 30 minutes to help us out.  The kids are a little confused about who's here when, but they love the time playing with other people.  Here's just a snapshot of the things Jon's imagination let's him whip up while he's home during the day with the kids.  Don't ask me where this idea came from.  :)  See the amazing possibilities when you have a headband, paper, bathroom cup and rubber band.  Lots of fun!!
Jon's normally the one that's great at taking pictures with his phone, not me, so these are the limited pictures I had access to today.  Jon will have to update you all about his experiences later on.


No comments: