Saturday, March 16, 2013

Kiddie Dates

We decided to start a new tradition in our family.   Kiddie Dates!!  Once a month, each of us will take one of the kids to do an activity for a little more one-on-one time with the kids.  This week was our first one.  We had a blast and are so excited to be able to do it again each month. . . maybe more if we can fit it in.  This month, Noah chose to take me to Nickle-Cade.  He loves that place and we had such a good time.  Tons of games to play, a few rides to ride on, lots of tickets and choosing prizes at the end of it all.  Tayton chose to take Dad to McDonald's for an ice cream and then to the dollar store for a few treats.  Jon knew that Noah would come home from Nickle-Cade with a few trinkets, so he wanted to make sure she didn't feel left out when we all got back home.  She chose a cute little stuffed Chihuahua dog with big eyes.  Fitting for her at this stage since her favorite movie to watch over and over is "Beverly Hills Chihuahua"  She always asks to watch "WaWas"  Dad helped her name the dog "Ramone"  You should hear her say it though, it's so funny because it's this low growling, almost creepy sound.  She also go to choose a balloon.  Dang, for $1, those things last FOREVER!!!  That thing is still flying high 5 days later!



We are SO happy that spring is here!  The kids spend every single day outside playing as much as they can!!  The neighbor kids are always knocking on our door to see if Noah and Tayton can play.  Sometimes I have to tell them no because it's nap time or we're just getting ready to leave and you should see those kids little faces.  They stand there looking at me with the saddest looks in their eyes. . . . and after just looking at me for a few seconds, they ask when will the kids be able to play.  I normally give in and say, fine, they can come play for 10 minutes before we have to leave.  That or when nap time is over, Noah and Tayton then get ready and go knock on their door.  We love living in this neighborhood where there are so many little kids to play with and they get along so well.  Jon had the opportunity to take the kids to the park too.  After a winter like this one, we're so glad to be out and about again!!  Doesn't get any better than these nice spring days where it's 60+ degrees outside. This is the perfect time of year, before the heat sets in and then I can't stand it!!  I've put away the winter coats and the boots!!!  YEAH!!





The kids like to help out so much, that we've even bought them little rakes and shovels so they can help me work out in the yard this year.  Lots of fun for everyone and hopefully teach them the value of work.  

Jon's still just working weekends, so today, he got home at about 9 a.m., just long enough to have breakfast with us, then off to bed he went.  When we woke up, I wanted to do a little something special because I knew he was going back to work really soon.  So we had a picnic dinner downstairs while we watched "Wreck-It Ralph"  Very cute show by the way!  It worked out great because we just had time to have dinner and finish the show before Jon had to leave again.  Not exactly special, but it was so fun for the kids and they ate ALL their dinner, for the first time EVER, without bribing, coaxing or fighting.  It was a great night.  


I currently teach the 4-5 year olds in Primary.  There are good days when the kids listen and get what I'm trying to teach them.  There are great days when  mom calls you up and tells you that you're doing a good job because her son came home and could tell them all about the story of Joseph Smith and the first vision.  Then there are those days that aren't so great where I have to move in opening exercising 3 times to keep one little boy from spitting on another and then again to keep the little girl from sitting on and constantly hugging the girl next to her.  There are even days when the little buggers are fond of licking each other.  Those are the days when I'm so grateful for the Noah and his quiet little personality.  He's content to sit and listen and keep to himself.   He doesn't participate much, but I hope and pray that while he's sitting quietly, observing, that he's soaking up the spirit around him and the things his teachers, including me, have to say.  For the past few months, I've spent some of my day every Saturday preparing a lesson for these little people.  It's fun for me because I'm always looking for ways to involve the kids and keep them interested because those little lessons they give me are really meant for 7-8 year olds who can read and have longer attention spans.  Wish me luck.  I pray that Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he called me to that position because I really want to make a difference to these little ones!

1 comment:

jon said...

Great entry! Cute!